1970 C10: Cab Rehab
One of the reasons I like writing about the progress I make on this C10 is so I can look back and laugh at the timeline I set for myself. Last posting I had just finished cutting out the rust in the driver side and projected being ready for paint by February. I’m far from that.
As of last night, every bit of the cab patches had been installed, but that’s it. As expected, the passenger side moved much quicker. I’ve still got to do a little bit of work on the cowl before I can call the rust repair finished (on the whole truck!), but I’d say the cab is close to ready for filler. Before I do anything, though, I need to hang the doors to make sure they still fit correctly, since they haven’t been put in the openings since I put the door bottoms on.
Honestly, the cab patches were pretty straight forward. I did end up building my own panels for where the cowl meets the floor pans. The reproduction pieces would have just gone up the firewall without a flange in the middle at all. Unfortunately, without them the floorboard would have been considerably weaker, so I modified the pans I bought to match the panels I built.
Another hiccup I hit was the lower pillars were too thick and had to be sectioned. Otherwise, the rocker panels would not slip over top.
The pans had provisions for the factory gas medal. Unfortunately, it was in the wrong spot, so I cut it out. Fortunately, I’m installing a 71-72 pedal so I can get rid of the clunky factory linkage, and I built a patch to “delete” the pedestal. If you’ve ever owned a 67-70 Chevy truck, you know exactly what I mean. I was lucky enough to score the entire assembly from a guy on craigslist for $10.
Originally, the cab corners had a cool little detail that goes around the bottom, much like the rest of the rear bulkhead. The aftermarket corners did not have this, so I left as much factory metal as possible in order to blend the new metal in.
I’m waiting to remove the cab bracing before I start smoothing the welds. It was tough enough fitting the metal and welding around all of the bracing, so I’m perfectly content to wait and grind. Once I finish the patches on the cowl, I think I’m going to go ahead and put the cab back on the chassis so that I can also mount the fenders when lining the doors up.
While I’m not ready for paint yet, I don’t think I’m that far off either.